Jeff (William) Banfield has over 30 years of experience in investing and trading. He is a pioneer and expert in the alternative investment industry who was one of the four-member index committee that invented the world’s first ETF; originally called TIPS (Toronto Index Participation Securities).
- 2003 – 2015 ran JMO Research Ltd which oversaw Mr. Banfield’s Family Office Investments.
- 1997 – 2002 founded a Canadian hedge fund that generated a net return of over 350% with a 34% compound return to investors. During the same period, the S&P 500 compounded 7% and the Canadian Benchmark compounded 5.3%.
- The fund’s largest drawdown was -3.6% over two months. During the same period, the S&P 500 incurred a loss of -20%, and the TSX -32%.
- 1986 – 1997 proprietary trading at RBC Dominion Securities/ Richardson Greenshields as Vice President, then Managing Director overseeing program trading, index option arbitrage, structured products, convertible arbitrage, and merger arbitrage.
- Considered a pioneer of the Canadian alternative investment industry in market-neutral strategies.
- Bachelor of Arts, Economics – Trent University.